From:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 1997 12:42:48 -0800
Joel Mack wrote:

> Here's the update:  The word has come down.  If I want to use the
> logo,
> it'll cost me 250 beans.  No thanks, UNO.
>
> They don't want to include me in their press releases ("we prefer to
> send them just to the 'real' media, like radio, tv, and newspaper")
> and
> are extremely reluctant to give me any info on the team (an
> about-face,
> actually as they were initially receptive to me), so I'll have to
> release
> on what I can gather myself and what I hear second-hand.  Apparently
> they
> think their Athletic Dept web site (at this point, still non-existant)
>
> will be the definitive store of Mav hockey info.  If it's as
> well-maintained as the University's general site, they'll fall short
> of
> that goal.

So I suppose they charge the local Omaha newspapers $250 to print the
logo in the newspaper?  Aside from money, which is indeed outrageous,
the really foolish and insulting thing is that they don't seem to
believe the internet is part of the "real" media.

I might add here that UNO has rushed their own "official" hockey site
online at

http://cid.unomaha.edu/~cybermav/hockeyma.htm

with only the schedule link of ten buttons working right now.  You might
notice as well that they don't use their own logo!  Perhaps the price is
too steep for their own program?  I guess this way they can say they
have an official web site though.  Will they be the first one ever to
charge for a subscription?

UNO's official guide to athletics is also online and under construction
at

http://cid.unomaha.edu/~cybermav/

Anyway, thank you, Scott Roselius, UAF SID, Coach Dave Laurion, the
Nanook team, the entire UAF Department of Athletics, Bruce Cech, "Voice
of the Nanooks", the Fairbanks Daily News Miner and everyone who has
cooperated with me so willingly.  That makes every second spent on our
hockey web site worthwhile no matter how much time it takes.  Seeing
experiences like Joel's make me appreciate very much what has been done
here.

Joel, I wish I could say the same for you in your situation.

Eric Carlson
University of Alaska Fairbanks Hockey Web Site
http://www2.polarnet.com/~jcarlson/uafhockey/