From:
Steve Rockey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Rockey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 10:22:53 -0400
Greg Berge asked about Cornell's new goalie recruit.

This is what I know and how I found it.  If you go to:
http://members.aol.com/Cheisenber/Recruit97.htm
you will find that he is listed 3rd as a college prospect under the Ontario
section but using their links you can look up the Western Junior "B" league
at:
http://www.ohahockey.org/leagues/western_b/index.htm
If you then push the "scoring" button and go to goaltending statistics you
will find Ian Burt listed.  His is #6 in the league by a 3.89 GAA and his
teams top goaltender.  By my quick arithmetic his save percentage is about
.907 which seems quite adequate and he ranks 4th in the league by save
percentage.  Looking back to the league standing we see that his team was
about a .500 team that was not exactly an offensive powerhouse.  The top
rated college prospect in the same Ontario section is also from the same
league and going to St. Lawrence. By comparison he had a GAA of 3.41 and a
save percentage of about .910 playing for a team with a solid winning
record.

I think that goalies from this league do make the jump to Div. 1 and he is
a solid prospect although not a blue chip recruit.  Perhaps he had
initially planned to play another year of junior hockey before moving to
college to build his skills.  It is also possible that he really wanted to
go to Cornell and was a planned recruit for next year when Elliott
graduated.

Steve Rockey