From:
Charles Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 1997 13:31:14 -0500
The gentleman that spoke to you is not telling you the entire story.  If
your site is strictly non-profit and you are not using the icons in a
manner which detracts from the body which is represented by them, you can
use them  (and some would argue that even if your site is a commercial
site but you are not suggesting that the icon is endorsing your site,
you can still use it).  It falls under the fair-use laws.  Right now, it is
common courtesy to ask for permission to use them, but legally you don't have
to.  If the University was selling clip-art which had their logos on it,
they could then legally ask you to not use them since your use could allow
others to grab them, thus reducing their profits.

As someone else mentioned, check out the articles from C-NET for more
information about the legal issues on the WWW.

FWIW, UND allows any non-profit page to use their logos without asking.

charles
-
cob-web.com