From:
Scott Thornburg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Thornburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 1997 11:25:10 -0500
----------
> From: Joel Mack <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: State-run schools and trademarked logos...
> Date: Saturday, August 23, 1997 1:23 AM
>
> Question out there from anyone running an unofficial web site that uses
> the team/school logo:  Did you have to pay the school to use it?
>
> My situation:  I got a very nice call from UNO's SID this morning,
> complimenting me on my Maverick Hockey web pages.  Their only problem, he
> said, was that I couldn't use the Mavericks logo on the site as it was a
> registered trademark, and politely requested that I remove it.  I did so,
> after first asking what it would cost for me to license the use of the
> logo for my site (they're still getting back to me on that one).  While I
> didn't voice it immediately (not wanting to get in a fight with the guy
> that will most probably be helping supply me with info for the site), my
> thought was this:  As a state-run school, funded in part by my tax
> dollars, don't I already own a piece of the logo?  I could understand
them
> being worried if I was making money off this site, but I'm not (in fact,
> when you consider domain registration costs, hosting costs, ISP costs,
> etc. I'm losing a bundle on the site) and I don't want to.  I just want
> have a place to share my enthusiasm for UNO hockey with others.

I do not have any school logos on my site but your question reminded me of
something I read recently. It is at

http://www.cnet.com/Content/Features/Dlife/Law/ss09.html

It may be of some help to you in that it describes "fair use" of logos. It
probably doesn't address the state-run/tax funded question but  it should
make you feel better about your legal rights.