From:
Ryan Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 10:57:36 -0500
It will be interesting to see how Bill Muckalt performs without the
assistance of those highly touted Michigan forwards of the past.  Can he
eclipse 60 points again?  It will be a lot more difficult than last
season.  While Muckalt has been one of my favorite Wolverines, you can't
ignore the fact that he will be playing on a less-talented team in Ann
Arbor this season.  So this season will definitely prove if he had his
stats inflated by playing with those stars, or if he can shine without
them.

I haven't heard anyone say this year's Hobey is Crowley's for the taking,
though he has a good shot at winning it.  Like Muckalt, many said
Crowley's 1995-96 season was a result of playing with Dan Trebil and Brian
Bonin (17-46-63).  His only way of proving people wrong was by doing it
again the following year.  After a slow start, Crowley finished with 38
points in his final 20 games, tied for the league scoring lead, and was
named WCHA player of the year.  He didn't reach 63 points, but his 9-47-56
is a very nice year for a defenseman.  This year, if Crowley gets 43
points, he will be one of the few defensemen to reach the 200 point mark.

I'm not putting down Bill Muckalt, I'm just saying that he'll have to
(like everyone else) prove it on the ice.  His situation is very similar
to Crowley's following his sophomore year and it would be nice to see
Muckalt have a tremendous season and show to all people that he didn't
shine just because he had tremendous teammates.