Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 17:27:01 -0500
Greg R. Berge wrote:

> He can do both, of course.  Joe Nieuwendyk jumped from Cornell but returned
> for several summers until he gained his degree.  I am sure numerous
> athletes from other schools have done the same.
>
> There is a rookie salary cap in the NHL now, yes?  This suggests that
> Crowley can't do much better than 1 mil over three years, Hobey or no.
> With injury such a real possibility in hockey, I think he'd have to lack
> every ounce of risk-aversion to turn down the offer.

This issue is a lot more complicated than just a matter of whether
Crowley will make more money signing this year rather than next.  The
real issue is, years from now, what will he have rather spent this next
year doing?  While I have little use for the people who reflexively say
that "he owes it to the school" or "he should stay in school and get the
degree" in all cases, the answer to this question isn't "To spend the
next year making money" isn't the right one for every player.

This same question came up about more than one member of last year's
seniors at Michigan.  I have, quite accidently, run into Mike Crowley's
mother on two occasions (she's recovering nicely, thank you), so some of
the things I know about the case of the Michigan players are also true
for Crowley.

The Michigan players heard from several people advising them to stay for
their senior year.  One of these people was Mike Knuble, who not only
stayed for his senior year despite a big offer from the Wings (roughly
equivalent to what has been mentioned being offered to Crowley), but
went through exactly the scare scenario everyone throws around (just
before the season, he developed an irregular heartbeat that briefly
threatened to end his career).  It also sounded as if a couple of
players that left early a few years before have expressed regrets.  One
of these might not have been a hockey player; it seems that Chris Webber
has had thoughts that he made the wrong choice, despite money much
greater than that thrown at anyone in hockey.

The basic thread I've often heard is that while the NHL is a fine place
to be, for many players, the sport will never be this much fun again.
It is eminently possible that this is the consideration weighing on Mike
Crowley's mind.  Barring a career-ending injury, the money will still be
there in twelve months, and that really isn't a likely possibility.
What's that last season worth to him?  My hunch at this point is that
it's worth more than the Ducks are prepared to pay.  Then again, in
April I thought differently, so who knows.

J. Michael Neal