From:
"Greg R. Berge" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 10:55:47 -0400
> > The actual text is "... the committee also voted that games against
emerging
> > programs (institutions starting new hockey programs that are not
eligible for
> > championship competition) would not be considered. The action was taken
in
> > an effort to assist the institutions with emerging programs in
establishing
> > quality schedules".

Seems to me that, for once, the NCAA has been clear.  Emerging doesn't mean
"new", but means "not ready for prime time,": and the measure is "not
eligible for the tourny".  I think this is to distinguish teams in their
first N years of Div. I who, despite playing a full slate, are still
ineligible for the title, from teams which play an insufficient number of
games against full-schedule Div. I teams to be considered for the
tournament.  My assumption is that teams in the latter category have never
been considered in the computation of their opponents' RPI.