From:
Ryan Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 15:18:10 -0500
Neal Broten's 2 years at Minnesota

38 goals 104 assists

All-American/Hobey Baker Winner

The rest leave a lot to be desired..  Geronazzo was a very good player,
but tehre are a lot of guys better..  He leaves out Brian Bonin, who was
twice named All-American and WCHA player of the year during Geronazzo's
tenure.  Not to sound biased, I can name a lot of players just at
Minnesota who were better than Geronazzo.  Pat Micheletti, Larry Olimb,
Corey Millen, Aaron Broten, Steve Ulseth, Tim Harrer, Butsy Erickson,
Scott Bjugstad, etc..

Brett Hull played one season at Duluth did he not?  While he did have a
great year (over 80 points), it was one year.  And what about Derek
Plante?  He certainly was the best player collegiately in Duluth since
1980 in my mind.  Chris Marinucci was good, but Plante was better.  He
just had the unfortunate time of being a senior when Kariya won the Hobey.

Goalie: Robb Stauber
Mike Richter wasn't exactly the most memorable goalie in the WCHA.  I
should've made it clear that I was looking for players that were the best
in college, not prospects or great in the NHL.