From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 18:13:04 -0400
I believe this situation occurred at Union several years ago. The way I
remember
it was that Union, in an attempt to jump start their new division 1 program,
recruited several hockey players who were 20+ who had several years of
organized hockey experience in Canadian leagues. They knew at the time
that, because of the age of the players, they would only have 3 years of
eligibility,
but their idea was that they were brand new to division 1, had had a typically
poor season (typical for a team just moving from division 3 to 1) and as a
result
were having trouble recruiting. Their idea was that by recruiting
experienced players,
they could cut the time needed to gain a reputation as a respectable hockey
school
and be better able to attract quality players so that by the end of the 3
years,
the program could stand on its own merits.

Anyone who has followed Union for the past several years realizes that part
of that strategy has worked so far. Union has certainly become recognized
as a
respectable division 1 hockey school. If my memory serves me correctly, the
3 year
period ended after last season and this year, we will see whether the
entire strategy
works.

Anyone from Union out there to confirm my memory or did I imagine the whole
thing?