From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rowe, Thomas
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 23:37:54 -0500
I know most of it is "tongue in cheek" but over the past few years I
have slowly gotten tired of the Minnesota bashing because of their
recruiting practices.

Number one, I disagree with the practice philosophically.  Number two, I
root for the Badgers (while remaining one of their worst critics) and
have no love for Minnesota.  In the best of all possible worlds, Bucky
would sweep the gophs every year every series.  Are my loyalties plain
enough?

Over the years of this list Minnesota's policy has been aired numerous
times with the majority opinion seeming to be that most non-Minnesotans
don't like it.  What is strange is how passionate some people seem to be
on the topic.  You would think Woog repealed the Bill of Rights in the
U.S. Constitution.  And now we have yet another round generated by that.

Why do so many of the WCHA posters get so fired up about a Minnesotan
not playing for Minnesota?  I think its jealosy.  I don't like the Gophs
or their recruiting policy, but they have made it work.  Some of it may
be Woog, but they have made their policy work for years.  Admittedly,
few states have the infrastructure that Minnesota does, but that's no
reason to bash them for it.  Give credit where credit is due.  Year
after year they field a quality team.

So how about a little slack here.  If a touted recruit leaves Minnesota
to play elsewhere, then just report it and leave all the other snide
remarks where they belong - with the less knowledgeable fans.

Just my $.02 worth.  Flame away fellow Hockey-lers.

Tom Rowe                                     [log in to unmask]
Home of Division 3 National Champion Pointers
                    89, 90, 91 & 93