From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 1997 17:22:49 -0400
>>> Jay Lau <[log in to unmask]> 07/24/97 10:48pm
>>> Janik is probably wasting his time in college hockey. He should go to
>>>  juniors where he can develop his game further. BU is not going to
>>>  do alot for him if that's where he ends up going.

Au contraire! College hockey has adequate if not superior development.
The mistake usually made in an analysis like yours, Jay ... is that the only
thing that is considered is games played. However, another strong
impetus to development is practice where more often than not ... all the
players are on the ice developing their skills. College hockey practice
schedules greatly exceed that of the juniors.

A recent study shows that out of all the players making the NHL, the skill
set of the college player( and the European )  is greater than the junior
player. The statistics show that the college players are playing more
games than ever and the juniors are at an all-time low (only 55%). It also
shows the college players score more pts per game on the average and
accrue significantly less penalty minutes. Check it out -->
http://www.uscollegehockey.com/pressreleases/ccha.html

>>> Speaking of BU, is LaCouture going to leave school? I hear that he
>>> still hasn;t finished his classes from first semester.

He has been seen infrequently at the Terriers off-season workouts,
further leading to speculation he won't be playing. I'm surprised we
haven't heard anything yet.

-Paul.