From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 17:32:52 EDT
(Greenie suggests all poll data should be counted)

Yet most polls are so close that allowing someone to omit an obvious top
team will skew the results.  I will agree that adding a bottom team to
an "unexpectedly" high position should have little/no adverse affect.

If we could look at polls last season, I suspect that the Maine standing
was substantially affected by people wishing to "punish" the team (or
for other reasons) by leaving them off the ballot.  If my supposition
was true, the Maine standings in those polls were not representative of
peoples general opinion of their strength relative to the other teams.

The US has *zillions* of stupid laws just because people can't be
trusted to do what is right.  Heck, the NCAA has *zillions* of stupid
regulations just because ...

cheers,
wayne

Wayne T. Smith                         Systems Group -- CAPS
[log in to unmask]                    University of Maine System
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L/Info-Hockey-L/Hockey3