From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph N. Baer
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 12:12:39 EDT
"Jeffrey T. Anbinder" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Last time Cornell lost a goalie to the pros, it was Parris Duffus.  We were
>genuinely left without a backup that time, because we still had Parris and
>Andy Bandurski during recruiting season, and no recruits wanted to sit on
>the bench for a couple of years.  In a last-minute scramble, we ended up
>with Eddy Skazyk - not by any means a stellar goalie, but hardly a
>disaster.  Besides, the next goalie we got was Jason Elliott, two-time ECAC
>Tourney MVP.  I'm not hoping for a trend, but still...
>
>One should also keep in mind that - IF it happens - having Jason Elliott as
>one's only goalie may be a nervewracking prospect, but it still puts us
>ahead of half the ECAC as far as quality.  Any volunteers to be Jason's
>bodyguard/chauffeur this season?

Anybody but me out there who remembers that in 1968-69, RPI had only one
goalie on their roster, Tom Nichol?  When Nichol was injured/sick,
sophomore center Barry Sherwood was put into the net and promptly shut
out BU 7-0.  Sherwood left school after the first semester, and the next
time Nichol was out, senior defenseman Brian Dickey played in goal and
defeated then-Div-II Merrimack and I think then lost another game.
(My memory is only clear about the BU game because when RPI next played
BU in the ECAC playoffs they lost to BU 4-2 in what was then the Boston
Arena.)

I wonder if Cornell has been looking for another goalie for a while
already.  With Pelletier rated as high as he was in the NRL CSB rankings,
it shouldn't have been too surprising that he left school.

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74