From:
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward N. Moller
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 1997 16:17:45 -0400
It's good that we Hockey-L'ers can take the time to engage in good
natured summertime rumor mongering that is purely tongue in cheek.  But
perhaps the funniest item I've read this week is the one that was meant
to be serious.

On Wed, 2 Jul 1997 16:05:55 EDT Alyssa Carpenter wrote:
> ??????? - how about the university of pennsylvania?  from what i've
> heard, their men's team is a varsity program, but doesn't have the
> varsity recognition.  perhaps they'll jump in.

IMHO, one of the darkest moments in the history of college hockey was
the day in 1976 that the University of Pennsylvania stripped the hockey
program of its varsity status.  A year ago this list spent a lot of time
bashing the University of Illinois-Chicago for its decision to drop
hockey, and even went further in looking back at Kent State.  The
difference was that UPenn was a successful and competitive program, in a
growing hockey market.  Attendance was not an issue.  The players took
it so badly, that for their last game they put masking tape over the
team's name on their uniforms.

This past spring Time magazine did a cover story on the financial issues
facing higher education.  They used UPenn for a case study.  I was
amazed to see a photo of UPenn's hockey team, which in my eyes was meant
to appear as a typical UPenn extra-curricular activity.  That may be so,
but it is not what that university has in mind as a typical varsity
athletic endeavor.  A reader of that article can quickly tell you that
UPenn's priorities are the bottom line.  In light of what was discussed
on this list concerning UIC, I was surprised that no comments about that
article were discussed here as well (hello self).

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997 07:23:53 -0400 Jim Britt wrote:
> There have been rumors/talk along the lines of "wouldn't it be nice" for many
> years. In these days of tight athletic budgets and balanced gender ratios in
> varsity sports, it's a stretch for the U of P to consider an upgrade at this
> time.

As we all know, hockey is one of the most expensive sports around, and
it did not fit 21 years ago with UPenn's agenda.  It probably doesn't
today either.  And that is a shame.  If there is one college in the
country that should have a D-1 program, it is UPenn.  UPenn fits in
perfectly with the Ivies, and Philadelphia is a ripe college market.
Another school that should have a D-1 program is UConn.  The moment
UConn goes D-1, watch ESPN sign up.

 *    Edward Moller, Controller     |      Tel:  (617) 928-4515        *
 *        Mount Ida College         |      Fax:  (617) 928-4706        *
 *     Newton, MA  02159-3323       |    Email:  [log in to unmask]    *