From:
Rick Traugott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 12:13:34 -0400
Don't quote me on this but as far as I know, those 17 year olds will
turn 18 inside of this year.  The draft eligible players are born in a
certain time frame (and I don't think it's the calendar year, maybe Sept
1 to Sept 1 (?)).

Players are eligible also for two(?) years and then they go into the
supplemental draft that only the non-playoff teams pick in.  Otherwise a
player can only sign as a free agent.

As well, unlike Major League Baseball, teams hold the rights for a
college bound players through there four/five years at college.  If they
do not go to college, the team must sign them within a year of the draft
or they can go back into the draft the following year as per Tripp from
Oshawa Generals.

I may be wrong about some of this.  Please correct me if thats the case.

Rick Traugott
Head Hockey Coach
Trinity College School
Port Hope, Ontario