Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 21:23:39 -0500
Larry Winer wrote:

>  We could model US Colleges on the Canadian system or am I wrong in pointing
> out that the author of this reply is one who always chants the mantra BU or
> is BU hockey not the evil big time US College sport the author decries?

I may get around to responding to the rest of this post at some point,
or I might not.  It'll take some composition and I have to decide if
it's even worth it.

Nevertheless, I don't think that Arthur should have to be the one to
defend himself by pointing out that Mr. Winer has done a very poor job
of actually understanding his feelings.  Is Arthur a BU fan?  Yeah, I
think that's pretty self-evident.  Is he never critical of his alma
mater?  Does he "always chant the mantra of BU"?  Just which Arthur
Berman have you been reading, Mr. Winer?

On a number of occasions, I can remember Arthur being quite critical of
BU.  He certainly hasn't expressed any great fondness for Jack Parker.
I would hazard a guess (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Arthur)
that he feels much the same way about BU hockey that I feel about
Minnesota hockey.  In answer to your question, yes, I think Minnesota
hockey is emblamatic of a lot of my problems with college athletics.  It
is part of a system that I think is wrong-headed and corrupt.  I would
be greatly pleased if the whole system were changed, Gopher hockey along
with it.

Until that time, I'll continue to be a Gopher fan.  They certainly
aren't any more corrupt (or at least I haven't seen the evidence of it)
than the system as a whole.  It is my alma mater and I feel loyalty to
it.  It's just not a matter of "my school, right or wrong".  The whole
system needs changing, and my school and Arthur's school are no
different from the rest.

J. Michael Neal