From:
Randy May <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 20:11:48 -0400
In a message dated 6/10/97 2:12:16 PM, [log in to unmask] (MIKE T. CORBETT)
wrote:

<<My opinion this is a huge loss, Gomez would be a top player on any team
in the WCHA. He would have added additional scoring depth to the Tigers
and another great playmaker to a line-up that already has Brian Swanson
and Toby Peterson.  Gomez is worth at least one spot in the standings!
Yes , he is that good..

I agree his absence will hurt this year, and probably the next, but consider
this. Gomez is obviously the kind of player that WOULD NOT stay more than 2
years tops. That means CC would have "lost" him without opportunity to
acquire a "replacement" via his scholarship during the summer of '99 anyway.
The top 3 centres on CC will be among the best in the nation (Swanson, T.
Petersen, Karpan.) , as will their linemates, anyway. (Karpan was huge in the
playoffs after a miserable season.) Add the distraction of a terrible student
that Gomez must be (550 SAT) at a fast paced academy like CC and it could be
a negative almost as much as it is positive. The loss of Gomez will hurt
maybe, but maybe it is the best thing that could happen to CC. I got the
feeling that coach Lucia had a very good idea that this might happen in
conversation with CC SID Dave Moross.

Randy May