From:
Bruce Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 15:40:08 -0400
            When discussing equality in men's and women's sports,
hockey,baseball,basketball,etc, it really doesn't matter.  The real
question is:  What is the purpose of athletic scholarships?  Are colleges
giving money to high school students so they can enjoy a useful activity
that keeps them fit.  We all know the answer to that question.  The bottom
line is to attract the best athletes they can get--why do you ask-so they
can win.(period)  At every level whether it is Div.I,II,III---winning is
the bottom line.  The students want to see the teams win,the alumni,the
parents,the administrators, and yes even the professors.
          Let's pose this question:  What is wrong with a school giving
scholarships to players of men's hockey,women's basketball,men's football,
and women's field hockey--because the school knows that these are the
sports that the people in their area want to see.  At the same time the
school will offer men's baseball,women's softball,men's
basketball,swimming,tennis,track but will play an independent schedule with
teams within 100 miles and will offer no financial aid for these
activities.  If there is not enough interest no big deal.  Div I students
might be competing with Div. II students in some sports but not others. It
is time for colleges,leagues, and the NCAA to show some imagination so that

 college students can be allowed to compete in a sport to keep a healthy
body and a healthy mind.
        Why not emphasize some sports---but not others.

                                              Bruce Roberts
-