From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 06:00:21 -0400
Title IX directly affects all men's college sports, and although our interest
is specificly the hockey programs, discussion of these issues on this board
is entirely appropriate.  I would simply like to see more data about the
hockey programs across the nation, and the proportion of Athletic Department
funding supporting those programs.  Whatameanis - if an Athletic Department
has a budget of one hundred thousand (Stop laughing - it's just an example!)
what fraction of that is directed at the hockey programs?  Is there any data
on this?

The situation at Maine with the women's hockey program asking for varsity
sport status is creating a deep black hole in an already painful deficit
which will cut into the funding of all the other sports, not just men's.
 Hidden in the "costs" of bringing this varsity sport to Maine are many costs
neccessary to provide separate but equal status, as the Alfond will have to
be renovated to provide a locker room, and the training facilities will have
to be enlarged and moved, probably under the street side of the rink.  Also
the loss of revenue in ice time rental, "yadda yadda yadda".

There will have to be many cuts at Maine to cover the deficit in funding our
land grant institution, and although Athletic Department funding is mostly
private funds and not state, there is no way everything can be funded with
the present finances, let alone adding any other sports.  That's why I am
interested in these numbers.

Cathy Hart