From:
Steve Rockey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Rockey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 09:48:51 -0400
I hate to get into this but here I go.

Schools would not have to drop football to be in compliance.  All they
would have to do is to agree at the NCAA level to cut the squad size, the
coaching staff, and the number of scholarships in half.  I think that
squads of about 50 with 40 or so scholarships could still play
football--high schools and the NFL manage with much smaller squads than
colleges.  If they made such cuts probably a significant number of programs
would become profitable.  I think part of the reason this will never happen
is that the football power elite wants a large number of players on their
squads just in case they need them and to keep that talent pool away from
the weaker teams thus insuring their position.

--Steve