From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 May 1997 17:45:56 -0400
I thought we settled this issue in Havana Harbor a century ago,
but it keeps cropping up.

I've generally enjoyed Maine's success and fans while also sympathizing
not one bit with anyone who violates the rules of college athletics.  I
have no firsthand knowledge of the facts of this case, can't read
minds and can't predict the future, so...

I've been content to forego interim judgments and wait for the final
verdict.

It will eventually be clear whether the University of Maine and its
supporters slipped once in running a clean, justified program or
whether they have no credibility whatsoever.  The latter nails go into
the coffin with the next slip-up.  The former takes a little longer.  I
see the questions as "When does enough time expire for Maine to regain
credibility?" and "What harm is done if we just wait to decide?"

For me, the time expires when I feel Mr. Walsh has maintained an
unblemished record longer than one not sincerely interested could
manage to.  Meanwhile, I don't think staying barely within the rules
should be convincing of anything except that he got away with one.

As to who gets hurt if he screws up again,... it's certainly not the
fans who had a chance to make a clear statement about the integrity of
their school but opted to maximize wins.  That their credibility would
be shot is entirely appropriate.  Perhaps some honest players would
suffer if the school is suspended from postseason play after they
decided to take a chance on someone questionable.  Most likely, far
more will benefit by findng a path to the NHL.

I don't see a need to rush to judgment.  A benefit will accrue to
college athletics if the claims of Walsh's supporters come true.  I can
wait and see what happens, but it won't be with the attitude, "Fool me
nine times, shame on you!  Fool me ten times, shame on me!"  It's time
for Maine to show that the program is squeaky clean.

Bob Griebel