From:
Steve Rockey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Rockey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 1997 09:07:13 -0400
Larry Winer says in part:

>Hockey is a relatively clean D1 revenue sport.

While I love college hockey and I would like to believe that I am not sure
it is true.  Div. 1 college hockey is a very small sport with only about 50
teams.  What percentage of those teams are into the abuses we might decry
as "unclean"?  Is that percentage any different than football or
basketball?  Are the service academies and the ECAC doing things a little
different?  What do the percentages look like if you deduct those 14 teams
and recalculate the percentage?

I am afraid that I think that hockey is small and that we overestimate the
percentage of dirty programs in football and basketball because of media
scrutiny and the large number of teams in those sports.  I hope I am wrong
and Larry is right.

--Steve

Steven W Rockey
Mathematics Librarian