From:
Jeffrey Partnow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeffrey Partnow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 May 1997 17:12:56 -0900
Earlier today, Deron Treadwell wrote:

>I would contend that Walsh does a good job with defensemen as well as
>goalies.  Guys like Eric Weinrich and Keith Carney are perfect examples,
>but even recently there is Jeff Libby.  This guy wasn't good enough to give
>a scholarship to when he walked on, and just signed a pro contract.
>Somebody had to make him a better player while he was here!  :-)

Actually, Libby was more than good enough to give a scholarship to, and
would have had a bunch of offers, except for "potential" eligibilty
problems. Some schools viewed them as more serious than did Coach Walsh,
who was then in his "we can work anything out" phase vis-a-vis the NCAA. I
am an unabashed Walsh fan, but I wouldn't credit him for making Libby a
good player, only for making him eligible.

--Jeff Partnow ([log in to unmask])

UAF, getting great in '98!