From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 May 1997 11:21:51 -0400
As Tony Biscardi so eloquently stated in his post, Jack Parker's decision
to decline the Bruins offer and, instead, stay at BU was not about money.
It was about looking deep inside yourself, decide what your role in hockey
is meant to be and decide on that basis.

What it came down to for Parker, I believe, was that he saw himself as a
teacher first and a hockey coach second.  His statements regarding his
constant communication with former players reminded me of a piece I saw on
TV during the NC$$ roundball tournament about Dean Smith.  In it various
former players of Smith's recounted how none of them would ever think of
making a major decision in their lives without first running it by their
old coach.  Now there may be a bit of exaggeration in this but it does say
something about how player-coach relationship is viewed by the player.  I
believe that this is the essence of Jack Parker's decision and it speaks
volumes for the man that his role in the lives of young men was more
important than just "show me the money".

In my old days as a UNH fan (circa late '70's) I hated Jack Parker.  He
could be a raving maniac on the bench, badgering his players, intimidating
the refs and (at least once) throwing sticks on the ice.  And the fact that
BU always found a way (and still does) to beat UNH really galled me.
However, over the years I have come to realize what a truly great coach and
motivator he is. Most of the time he gets the most of out his players and
most of the time, especially in the big games, he gets the best of teams
that are his equal or better.  Believe me, college hockey is a better sport
today because he has decided to remain at BU.

Greg Ambrose, UNH '72

P.S.  The remark on the net regarding a "barfly" friend of Parker's is way
off base.  The guy doesn't drink and hasn't for years.