From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 1997 16:34:37 -0400
At 03:23 PM 5/8/97 EDT, (No Name Available) wrote:
>He does more with less talent, gets the most bang for your buck.
>Parker gets the highly-touted draft picks every year...I'd like to see him
>coach a 2nd-rate team...then again, we may be seeing that very soon...

I've seen a couple posts from you now talking in this fashion and I have to
respond.  I cringe at any sight of bashing another school and/or coach
(like the "truly sad day" and previous Parker comments).  As someone
attending Maine, you should know better than to be putting down other
programs or coaches, especially when you consider this is a national list
with fans from all over the country, including BU.

I also cringe because people like myself have worked hard to try and
establish a better image of Maine fans on this list and be above this kind
of stuff.

If you think that BU has had the pick of the litter for all of Parker's 24
years as coach, that shows how little you know about the Boston University
program and the Boston-area colleges actually.  Boston University has only
had the pick of the litter in the Boston-area for maybe five years or so
tops.  BU's ability to get who they wanted coincided with BC's fall from
the top places in the league.  Only since then has BU had the top area
players to choose from.

But, some will tell you that the balance of power is again changing.  Many
feel that BU's freshman class this year was not as talented as recent
years, and that Bobby Allen (BC recruit) was thought to have been sewed up
to attend BU and chose BC over them.  Also, with Bruce Crowder going to
Northeastern the possibility exists that recruiting from this area will
become more competitive.

As a Maine fan, you may feel you have some recourse to hate Parker and that
is your right, but even if you think he is the devil you have to give the
man his due and that is that he is a good coach, period.

You can't argue with his success.  He has compiled a record of 549-257-46
record in 24 years, winning two national championships and winning the
Beanpot 12 different times.  That is good enough to be one of the
winningest coaches in college hockey.

Will he make a good NHL coach?  No one really knows, but he can develop
young talent and that is a step in the right direction for the Bruins.
---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])