From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 09:35:58 -0400
On Apr 23,  7:51, "Philip R. Baumann" wrote:
>An interesting sidelight on this.  The higher education funding bill
>passed by the Minnesota House of Representatives requires that any
>school with Division I hockey that is not in compliance with Title IX
>add women's varsity hockey by 1998.  This provision is not included
>in the Minnesota Senate version of the bill, so its future is
>uncertain.  If passed, this would essentially require St. Cloud and
>Mankato to add women's hockey.

Or drop men's hockey.  Hopefully (from the fan's viewpoint), the men's programs
are so entrenched at these two schools that the administrations would choose to
incur the additional costs of funding a women's team, rather than saving money
and coming into compliance at the same time by bringing out the scissors.

They would have to add teams by 1998?  That seems like an awfully short lead
time.

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"There are eight hundred thousand Canadians living in Southern California, and
 I've just found out why.  They hate hockey."
-- Jack Kent Cooke (1913-1997), former owner of the Los Angeles Kings