From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 20:56:19 -0400
The story which appeared in the Boston Globe last week regarding the
possibility of Jack Parker leaving BU to go to the Bruins is what I refer
to as a "filling up the space" article.  If one read the article carefully,
all Parker said, after being asked directly by the writer, was that he
would listen if the Bruins called him.  This is a long way from lusting
after the job.

My recollection is that the Bruins did seek him out after a fashion a few
years ago (before they hired Brian Sutter, I think).  This was about the
same time that Parker wound up taking the AD job at BU for a couple of
weeks, then had the change of heart and went back behind the bench.  I
would think that, if the Bruins pursued him once and he turned them down,
why would they come after him again?

I may be wrong, but why would anyone in Parker's position want a pro job?
He's never struck me as being the ambitious sort, that is, looking at the
BU job as some sort of stepping stone.  They guy has been at BU as a player
and coach for 34 years.  He loves the place and the place loves him.  And,
he's getting paid handsomely and is respected by his peers.  Why would he
want to give that all up to go to the Bruins, where coaches never last more
than 3 or 4 years?

Finally, the Globe writer who did this story is none other than Kevin Paul
Dupont, who does not respect the college game and, from what I have read
over they years from him, knows little about it.  Like I said before, he
was just trying to fill up space about a team (the Bruins) for which there
is little else to write about.  Kind of like all this bogus talk of Rick
Pitino coming to the Celtics.

Greg Ambrose, UNH '72