From:
David Morgenstern <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 12:16:39 -0400
Every time the Bruins need a coach (way too often recently) Parker's name
comes up.  I think that he was once actually offered the job and turned it
down, maybe someone with a better memory can elaborate (I think it was in
the early 80's?).  Recently there was a Globe story with quotes from Jack
about the Bruins job and he pretty much said not interested, but without
closing the door entirely.  The writer of the article speculated that he
has no reason to take that job because of his current status, and his
outside interests.  Parker did say all the right things in his quotes to
leave the door open, and I might add to remind everyone that the job isn't
open right now, that someone else has it and he doesn't want to talk about
taking someone else's job.

Personally, I hope he doesn't take it.  I love the Bruins, but the way that
team is run, Jack would end up as frustrated as every other good person
they have had there and I wouldn't want to see that happen to him.
Besides, I don't want him leaving BU.  It is selfish, but hey, I am a fan,
it's allowed.

It was asked why he would want to leave since he is "king of Comm. Ave."
Well, that is probably true, but coaches want to win, and they want to win
at the best level, just like players.  I don't think there is a coach in
the world that wouldn't want a shot at the top prize, and in hockey that is
the Stanley Cup.  NCAA titles are great, and I would give my left you know
what to win one, but the Cup is worth more (I know, both of them?  I don't
think so).  And every player and coach knows that winning one means a piece
of you lives on forever as one team passes it to the next every year.  So
yes, I think there is incentive to leave.  Being the man who brings the Cup
back to Boston will be worth a lot.  We are going on 25 years here.  All
anyone needs to do is remember when a kid named Orr brought the Cup back
here in 70, after 29 years.  He is a god here.  The next man to be
responsible for doing that will be just as big a god.  Or almost as big.
But certainly big enough to leave a top college coaching job.

I know I rambled, I hope I made some sense.
Dave