From:
Ken Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 20:43:55 -0500
Well I've watched for almost a week now and here are my takes.  First of
all, I really wish Brendan Morrison wouldn't have made his little comment.
For all of you who really don't know him and haven't followed his career,
I see your points about the lack of class in it.  However, I've followed
his career and met him on a few occasions and I know that he is a class
person.  He made a mistake up there, and something tells me he wanted to
say what had said all along: the best team doesn't always win, it's the
team the works the hardest. Unfortunately probably due to nervousness it
came out bad, and he will learn from it.   Michigan people should know
the best team doesn't always win as last year
the best team all year didn't win either.  In fact you have go back to
Maine in 1993 to find a #1 team that won it all, and even they faced two
one goal games at the Final Four.

What really bothered me was a statement about Red Berenson lacking class.
Michigan hockey is an example of what college athletics SHOULD be all
about.  Red cares about the well being of players during and after
college.  Look at his record of successfully encouraging players to stay
all four years and graduate.  Despite some earlier playful posts on April
1, it's very likely that all of the juniors will come back next just like
the nine that stayed this year.  Even Morrison and Botterill are sticking
around to finish before they pursue pro careers.

Finally about the fans.  Why is everyone so worried about the fact that
M-fans and their band didn't stick around Saturday?  Those of who did want
to stay did (like myself) and those fans who didn't opened up
opportunities for other fans who did want go.  Many of M-fans were
students, and yes we do have academics to take care (as Josh pointed out a
few days ago).  And the band didn't really have choice, you think the
university is going to pay for extra hotel night so they can watch North
Dakota and BU?

Congradulations to North Dakota a well deserved championship, and yes, BU
Won, (michigan did not lose).