From:
Brian D Helland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian D Helland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 18:40:58 -0600
Well, the Final Four is over and the WCHA has returned to the top of the
College Hockey world.  North Dakota captured it's 6th national title with
a 6-4 win over Boston University.  It's the first national title for the
Sioux since 1987 and the first for the WCHA since 1991.  The Final Four
also saw #1 Ranked Michigan fall in the semi-finals to Boston University
3-2.  The Terriers crafted a brilliant game plan and overcame some
penalties to secure the win.  Let's look at all 3 games.

SEMI-FINALS
NORTH DAKOTA 6

COLORADO COLLEGE 2

The Tigers fell behind early as the Sioux built a 3-0 lead in part
because of some defensive breakdowns.  CC coach Don Lucia called a
timeout to calm his team down.  It seemed to work as the Tigers pulled
within 3-2 early in the second.  But the Sioux responded by scoring 3
unanswered goals in the second period.  That sealed it for the Sioux as
they hung on to that lead and advanced to the NCAA Title game for the
first time since 1987.

BOSTON UNIVERSITY 3

MICHIGAN 2

In a major upset, the Boston University Terriers ended Michigan's bid to
repeat with a 3-2 win.  The Wolverines took a 1-0 lead into the first
intermission, but the Terriers exploded for 3 second period goals to take
a two goal lead into the 3rd period.  Hobey Baker winner Brendan Morrison
cut it to 3-2 late in the game with the goaltender pulled, but the
Terriers hung on to advance to the Title game against North Dakota.

NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP

NORTH DAKOTA 6

BOSTON UNIVERSITY 4

The Sioux captured their 6th title in school history with a second period
scoring blitz.  The Sioux, trailing 2-0 early in the second, exploded for
5 goals in the second to take a 5-3 lead into the third.  In the final
period, the Sioux played it safe with a defensive style designed to cut
down on BU scoring chances.  The Terriers made it interesting late in the
game by scoring with the goalie pulled to make it 5-4.  But Adam Calder's
empty net goal sealed it for North Dakota, who brings the WCHA it's first
National Title since 1992 (Northern Michigan).  UND's Matt Henderson is
named NCAA Tournament MVP.

Well, it's been a great first year for the "Unvarnished Truth".  This
column has been a lot of fun for me to put together.  I want to thank all
of my loyal readers for sticking with me, and I'd also like to thank
Charles Bell for being nice enough to put this column on his web page.  I
might have a couple of special summer editions, but the next column for
sure will be before next season starts.  It will be my first-ever
"Unvarnished Truth" WCHA season preview.  I'll look at each team and tell
you what I think will happen over the course of the year.  I'll also have
pre-season awards and a pre-season All-WCHA team.  See you then!