From:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 20:31:31 -0600
I know this is late, but wanted to post it anyway.

First off, I'd like to thank David Parter for arranging the Hockey-L
dinner. The company was first-rate and the food wasn't bad either! :-)
It was great to see the UNH contingent (Jim Love, Greg and Karen Ambrose)
and the Boston contingent (Mr & Mrs Biscardi, Tony Biscardi, Mike Machnik,
Steve, Todd, and a couple of others); the Western NY contingent (Chris
Lerch, Larry Haag, Scott Biggar, Russell Jaslow and his brother Kenneth)
and the Wisconsin contingent (John Perkins, Wendy Isvanik, Deb Brauer,
Pat, and a ton of others). Also in attendance were Jim Dixon and James
Bradshaw from the deep South! Oh, and the Minnesota contingent of Pam
Sweeney, Kathy Martin, Erik and Paula Biever, J Michael Neal and his
father (and yours truly). Also there: Charlie and Jon Shub, Bill and
Virginia Krebs, Brian Morris, Mike Burger, and Rob Kingsley.

My apologies to those I am omitting I just can't remember all the names!

The in-between meeting spot was the place to be and more faces to the
names and e-mail addresses were revealed. Although there were lots more
Hockey-L'ers at the event that we didn't see there.
Where were you guys???

The games were great, (well two out of three were!) with the Michigan-BU
game being the most exciting.

As Pam and Kathy and I walked to the arena on Thursday morning we were
dissed by some Michigan fans...singing "season's over" in response to
Pam's Minnesota jersey...to which I promptly yelled back: N-I-T!!

I was one of the annoyed at the powers that be for nixing the replays
on the scoreboard after the non-call on the Michigan player. The Bradley
Center has those great screens and I like watching the replays!!

The "Barkan Bash" was THE place to be in the evenings!  Lots of folks
mingling and talking hockey and telling great stories. Thank you Jon!!
It was *FABULOUS* with lots of media and coaches and even Refs!
Saturday night was Hockey-L night at the Bash and it was great to see
everyone having such a great time.

Of course we went to the Hobey Ceremony, even though the recipient was
not a surprise, nor was the runner-up. I must admit that I was shocked
at what Morrison said in his speech and just like in the arena, the
audience was either for Michigan or against them. I wonder if it made
any impact on the UM fans that no one got up and left, just because
their favorite player didn't win.

The absolute BEST SIGN all weekend was in the Sioux section on
Saturday night, and it said:
        Hey Brendan, the BEST TEAM scores the most goals.
It got a huge cheer when they flashed it up on the scoreboard.

During the period breaks they kept playing the Willie Nelson version
of "It's a Wonderful World"  There may have been video that went with
it, but we were all out in the hallway.

Thanks to J Michael Neal for constantly reminding me that I was not
the "Cruise director" for the weekend. :-)  I am just a coach now I guess.

Best kept secret is that Tony Biscardi has a wonderful voice! WOW. I
want to know how he can yell so loud and still sing so well. :-)

Funniest comeback goes to Brian Cavanaugh who after escorting Chris Lerch
and Scott Biggar around the local bars on Saturday night, claimed to have
been in church! Didn't believe him for a minute! :-)

The entire Michigan Team was in our hotel (Hilton) and on our floor.
On Wednesday after getting on the elevator, so did about five players,
then a few more, then Turco...who after getting on, got off and would
NOT get back in the elevator despite the begging of his teammates.
He shoulda got back on the elevator...it just might have made the
difference. :-)

Well, if you've read this far, thank you! :-)

It was a blast and already preparations are in the works for the
next Phinal Phour in Boston. Tickets have been ordered and we have
a whole host of cruise directors ready to plan another fabulous
weekend of hockey related fun.

See you all in Boston in 1998!
-Carol
(Hockey-L Cruise Director Coach)