From:
Josh Kleinbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Josh Kleinbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 21:11:28 -0500
        Just so you know, the students at Yost love the Michigan pep band.  And
no, we can never get enough of Hail to the Victors.  ;-)
        I don't know what they played at the phinal phour, but they do get the
crowd into the game, and they do get the crowd laughing (like when the
director dances for the crowd). In fact, at the last home game of the
season, the band was named as a star of the game.  The crowd and the team
loved it.

                                        -Josh

At 01:20 PM 4/1/97 -0600, John R. Nash wrote:
>Ah yes... the sun is shining, we have an NCAA champ crowned, people are
>logging off for the summer, and the talk turns to hockey bands... :-)
>
>Jeremy Salmon <[log in to unmask]> quoth:
>>Unfortunately, they never do "In Heaven There is no Beer," but from the
>>other bands(or at pro games), I have yet to hear Wagner, Santana, even
>>John Williams for that matter(although this has probably changed in the
>>last 3-4 months).
>
>Just thought I'd chime in and mention that the UW band does "Everybody's
>Everything" by Santana, to great effect.  The original featured the Tower
>of Power horns, so if any band arranger is looking for a hot trumpet
>feature, check it out....
>
>I have to agree that the UMich band is rather run-of-the-mill for a hockey
>band.  As a former bandsman, I should acknowledge the work and spirit that
>goes into making a good "pep band," and the UMich band certainly has spirit
>and plays their music well. The problem really comes down to creativity and
>variety.  Too few songs, and especially too much of the much-maligned "high
>school band" cheer.   My personal bias is that a band needs to recognize
>its audience -- I'm sure the alums love "Hail to the Victors" over and
>over, but the student body would probably relate somewhat more to modern
>music. Retro is "in" these days, and songs like "Call Me" or "Psycho
>Killer" seem to go over well with a hockey crowd.  The best responses to
>bands that I've seen lately are to bands that ooze high-spirit (I
>grudgingly admit that the Cornell pep band can get a crowd really going),
>make us laugh and cheer (the MTU band is a riot), and mix up the song
>selection so we cheer with the band instead of yelling at them to play
>something else (the UW band does this, and is one of the most
>fan-appreciated bands I've seen).
>
>Now, this is very much in my opinion.  I think that the "drone the fight
>song" method works well for football, when you're playing to a stadium with
>a lot of alumni/ae and musical sublety is wasted energy.  But in the
>confines of a smaller hockey arena, the fans demand more, and the band
>really does act as cheerleader.
>
>Ob. comment on other bands: the UND band made a lot of noise for their
>small numbers. I could hear them singing clearly across the Bradley Center.
>BU's band was fine, even if they do look like candy canes. :-)  Does CC
>have a band?
>
>-john nash
>Harvard Band '91
>
>p.s. to whichever band did Rush's "Monsters!" as a cheer (it was either
>Umich or BU), yes someone did recognize it. (a memory from high school!) Do
>more stuff like that!
>
>-==-John R. [log in to unmask] Chem. Dept-==-
>                 --- "When in doubt, roll!" ---
>
>HOCKEY-L is for discussion of college ice hockey;  send information to
>[log in to unmask], The College Hockey Information List.

        "What would you do if you ate your daddy's shoes?"