From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 12:22:38 -0500
Dan Olsen writes:

>>From USCHO:
>
>"I don't think there's any question that it's a big upset because they've been
>the number one team all year long
>and the defending national champion," said BU coach Jack Parker. "But I think
>that any time we get beat it's an
>upset.
>
>>From me:
>
>Wow, are we just a little conceited here.  After their performance in the North
>Country in late November,
>I would barely call any BU loss an upset.  They do have a good team, but
>despite Jack's big head,
>he is not God's gift to hockey.

It has taken me almost 25 years to realize this but, yes Jack Parker is
God's gift to college hockey.  You may be smug in your belief that, because
you beat them in the middle of the year, BU was not so great this year.
However, they wound up playing in the title game (for the 3rd time in the
past 4 years) and Clarkson (and my UNH Wildcats) did not.  He has won more
NCAA games than any coach in history and he has won two national
championships.  Go to Walter Brown rink sometime and see all the
championship banners (NCAA, HE, ECAC) plus those recounting Phinal Phour
appearances (21 I think) and Beanpot championships.

Dan, as much success as your Clarkson and my UNH have had over the years,
we are not like BU. Instead of diminishing his accomplishments, we should
hope that our schools will strive to emulate his success.  The guy just
knows how to win.

Greg Ambrose, UNH '72
GO BLUE!!!