From:
Alan Harder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan Harder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 11:04:23 -0500
On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Greenie wrote:

>Too many people here have already commented on the various quips by just
>about every Michigan player and/or coach and their "best team" hangup.
>Simply put, the trophy went to the best team in college hockey for 1996-97,
>North Dakota. Just like last year, the best team was Michigan.

I disagree.  I don't believe that Michigan was the best team last year, but
they happened to get hot and won a couple games at the end.

This year, Michigan was the consensus number one team, based on their
performance throughout the entire yearr.  Evry poll, every computer list, had
Michigan as the number one team.  That qualifies Michigan to claim to being the
"best" team.

I don't believe that Arizona is the "best" team in college basketball, either.
The truth is, the best team doesn't always win.  Kansas proved, day in and day
out, that they were the "best" team in college basketball this year.  One game
cannot negate the performance of a team throughout the entire season.

Too much emphasis is placed on the last few games of the year.

Congratulations to North Dakota, they deserved their NCAA hockey tournament
trophy.  Congratulations to Boston University for playing an almost perfect
game against the Wolverines.  And boo-hiss to all the anti-Michigan people out
there, jumping all over the Michigan faithful when they are down.  You know who
you are.