From:
Josh Kleinbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Josh Kleinbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 10:17:22 -0500
About a year ago, I heard a rumor, and I honestly don't remember where
from, that a group of investors were considering starting a junior
basketball league to compete with the NCAA. It would be modeled after the
Canadian Junior hockey leagues.  This is a business venture, as the
investors see the $$$ the NCAA is making and realize they could get that
too, so the NBA teams would have to pay nothing.  I have heard nothing more
about this in the past year, and it's probably not going to happen, but
it's a very interesting concept.  I think it would destroy NC$$ basketball
because the junior league could pay their athletes, so they'd get all of
the athletes who want to go on to the NBA, and don't care about an
education (which I think is probably the majority of blue chip players today).

                                        -Josh

At 07:44 PM 4/1/97 -0600, Eeyore wrote:

>I agree with what you've said, but you're leaving out one important
>group that does not benefit: the professional leagues.  Minor league
>baseball costs them a lot of money, while college basketball is free for
>them.  Since it would be up to the professionals to start up a
>development league, I wouldn't count on it happening.
>
>J. Michael Neal
>
>HOCKEY-L is for discussion of college ice hockey;  send information to
>[log in to unmask], The College Hockey Information List.

        "What would you do if you ate your daddy's shoes?"