Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 19:44:18 -0600
Susan R. Sharrock wrote:
> A solution suggested by Brown (or my interpretation of his views)
> was for basketball to adopt the farm system used by baseball,
> thereby providing a non-academic avenue for those athletes
> interested only in aiming for the pros.  The advantages are fairly
> obvious; just about everybody comes out ahead--outstanding athletes
> not interested or qualified in academics, can prep for the pros,
> true student-athletes have the opportunity to play varsity
> sports, then move on to the pros or professions, and universities
> can perhaps get back to the business of education (and working on
> their tarnished reputations).

I agree with what you've said, but you're leaving out one important
group that does not benefit: the professional leagues.  Minor league
baseball costs them a lot of money, while college basketball is free for
them.  Since it would be up to the professionals to start up a
development league, I wouldn't count on it happening.

J. Michael Neal