From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph N. Baer
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 04:53:58 EST
Ken Pavelle wrote:

>How about Renssalear?  Not only is it possible that they have
>a fan base out there, but they give all indications of a team on
>the rise.

>Any RPI'ers choose to comment?

- Ken

Well it probably is pretty moot as Clarkson appears to be the team
from the ECAC chosen to go to Chicago.  RPI certainly has alumni
distributed all over the country, and I assume in a more uniform
fashion than a state school, however, it is a small school and thus
the total number of alumni is not so great anywhere.  The same can
be said of Clarkson.  There is a large following of the hockey team,
and I would predict that a sizeable contingent would attend, however
I would not pick RPI based upon its fan base.  As far as name
recognition, few non-engineers have heard of RPI, and even less
have heard of Rensselaer.

As to whether RPI would be deserving of this honor, I am guardedly
optimistic. I remember all too well four years ago when RPI was at
the same stage of its four year cycle of distribution of hockey
players by class.  In 1993 RPI had only one senior; the team finished
second in the ECAC regular season and fourth in the ECAC tourney.
Preseason polls for 93-94 picked RPI 3rd in the country.  Although the
team did make the NCAA tourney in 1994, they lost in the opening round
to UNH.  In 1997, RPI did not have a single senior on the roster; the
team finished fourth in the ECAC regular season and third in the ECAC
tourney.  This is all very similar to four years ago.  I awaiting the
preseason polls.  (Yes, it is a little early in the year for the
ceramic dalmatians to make their appearance.)

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74