Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 21:04:52 -0600
On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Larry Winer wrote:

> Let's be real. Foreign basketball players are 1 or 2 % as opposed to UND with
> 13 of 20.

How many people even know whether a player is from the U.S. or from Canada?

>         When Americans play (ie Oylmpics) the American public gets excited.
> Hockey's greatest moment in the US was the 1980 Olympics.

It's curious that olympic hockey games are seldom telecast in their
entirety.  Apparently the people who stand to profit from this fervor
don't see it.

> As more Americans enter the pro game the sport has become more popular south
> of the 49th parallel while the NHL is not drawing the way it used to in
> Canada.

Europeans have also been entering the pro game; are you sure they're
not the source of the popularity?  :)

> I mean for years the Expos wanted Canadian baseball players- nothing
> wrong with that it is only natural.

For years, the Expos couldn't draw, either.

> It is not automatic- it takes hard work- but if you love the game you
> realize the more exposure it gets the more people who were formerly
> indifferent love the game.

It is improper to use "realize" on an unsupported premise.  Try "believe".

|   Michael Patrick Bresina   |     America's always had a problem     |
|  [log in to unmask]  |  with illegal aliens.  Ask any Indian. |
|           Common sense is what tells us the world is flat.           |
|             I don't judge a man by the color of his skin;            |
|            I judge him by his choice of internet provider.           |
|  I'm not an elevator boy, though I play one in some people's karma.  |