From:
Brian D Helland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian D Helland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 13:08:47 -0600
Hello everyone!  Well, the Final Four is here and after Saturday we'll
know whether Michigan was successful at repeating as champions.  The
regionals saw Colorado College beat New Hampshire and upset Clarkson to
advance to the Final Four for the second straight year.  The other
match-ups went as most people figured with North Dakota, Boston
University, and of course Michigan advancing to the semifinals.  Let's
look at the match-ups:

THURSDAY AFTERNOON (NOON CENTRAL, 1PM EASTERN)

COLORADO COLLEGE (25-14-4) VS. NORTH DAKOTA (29-10-2)
This is a rematch from the semifinals of the WCHA Final Five, which the
Sioux won easily 5-1.  This figures to be much closer.  CC goaltender
Judd Lambert has been hot in the playoffs and is a big reason why the
Tigers are here.  UND's Aaron Schweitzer has also come up big in the
playoffs and has shown incredible poise for being an 18 year old
freshman.  The big question for UND is whether or not Jason Blake can be
a factor in the game with his injured shoulder.  But even with that
problem, the Sioux have a balanced offensive attack along with a solid
defense that doesn't allow many shots on net.  The big match-up will be
CC's defense vs. UND's balanced offense.  It'll be close, but I'll call
it anyway.  PREDICTION:  SIOUX WIN 4-3.

THURSDAY NIGHT

BOSTON UNIVERSITY (25-8-6) VS. MICHIGAN (34-3-4)
The Terriers have the unenviable task of taking on the #1 ranked and
defending national champion Wolverines.  Michigan has it all:  A
high-powered, explosive offense, a stingy defense, and good goaltending.
They want a second straight title and are playing like it.  If the
Terriers are to have any chance whatsoever, they'll have to get great
goaltending, flawless defense, and a couple of lucky bounces on offense.
Even with those things, don't count on the Maize and Blue losing.
PREDICTION: MICHIGAN WINS 6-2.

CHAMPIONSHIP: NORTH DAKOTA VS. MICHIGAN.
Although I would LOVE my beloved Sioux to win it all, I just don't see it
happening.  Michigan isn't going to falter after coming this far.  The
Sioux have had a great year, but they'll have to wait until next year.
PREDICTION: MICHIGAN REPEATS 5-3.

Well, that's all for now.  Later.