Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:52:53 -0700
Only 27 hours 'til faceoff!

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahoooooooooooooooo!

GO BU!

On a more serious note, as much as this ol' BU fan hates to say die I'm
expecting a rematch of last year's final. Based on the way that BU played
against Denver, I don't really see them getting by this year's Michigan
squad. I'm thinking they may not get shut out -- after all, with the way
Bates and O'Connell have been playing over the last few games, this means
three players (Drury) that Michigan needs to concentrate on. If Parker puts
any two of them on the ice together -- or all three, a high possibility --
the Wolvies are gonna have a bit of a hard time containing them.

However, I think the key to the game here will be defense. While BU hasn't
been an offensive juggernaut this season (as they've been in the past),
there's little doubt that they have the potential to score BIG. They've
also played a few high-scoring teams and kept their defense tight. Based on
some of the "bigger" games of the season however, and looking especially at
the BU-DU matchup, I wonder if BU's defensive success hasn't been so much a
stingy defense but a team-wide focus on "plaing not to lose, instead of
playing to win" as Parker put it during the OT timeout on Saturday.

Another main factor in the BU-UM matchup is Morrison (among other Wolverine
players) -- does BU have both the individual and team defensive skill to
contain Michigan's amazing offense? From what I've seen of both teams this
season, it doesn't appear that BU has been able to contain such teams.
While BU has been an aggressive team in forechecking and the neutral zone,
there have been many, many games where they just couldn't get the damn puck
out of their own zone -- sometimes even when they're on the power play. A
skilled passing team -- Michigan -- should have no problem picking apart
the BU defense.

At least, I hope they don't. :-)  Predicted score: Michigan, 5-3.

In the other matchup, I think that the Tigers are on a real roll right now
and have some heavy skill and experience to put them past the Sioux. I'm
very much looking forward to this game, as I also feel that North Dakota is
immensely talented and should give CC a tough time. Even though the Sioux
beat CC during the regular season and playoffs, I still think that CC will
bear down and pull through the game. Don Lucia has a way of keeping his
team in top form during such games, and I fully expect his players to give
every drop of blood, every ounce of strength to get by the Sioux.

Will the North Dakota players give the same? Most definitely. There haven't
been too many times this year with the Sioux have fallen short of
expectations, and haven't put up one hell of a fight.

I see this as a very fast, physical game -- hopefully the refs will lay off
the whistles. Prediction: CC, 3-2.

Then again, I'm a BU fan. Hell, I don't care who's playing.

"The teams are set, so LET'S PLAY HOCKEY!"

yeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

greenie

S P O O N ! !

GO BU!    (hockey)
GO BU!    (basketball)
GO 'BOWS! (20-6 and no tourney bid? Bull!)
GO BU!    (did I mention hockey?)