From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:36:03 +0000
Due to the fact that RPI was mentioned earlier in this thread,
and mostly due to the fact that I never did learn how to keep
my mouth shut (or, in the case of email, my virtual mouth), I
thought I'd stick my $.02 in.

For those who are not familiar with the geography of upstate
New York, Albany, Schenectady (where Union College is located)
and Troy (where RPI is located) form a triangle where each
city is approximately 10-15 miles from each other. In the triangle,
Union plays at the Achilles rink with a seating capacity of about
2500, RPI at the Houston Field House with seating for 5500 and
the Albany River Rats play in Albany at the Knickerbocker (Pepsi)
Arena which seats 12000-14000.

While I've never been to Achilles, I get the impression that it
is usually at or near full capacity. RPI, despite the accusations of throngs
leaving before the games are over (those accusations are well-founded)
nevertheless usually has 3000-3500 in the buildings with larger crowds
for some teams like Clarkson,Cornell, Union etc.

Yet despite this, the Albany River Rats seem to be doing well. They draw
3000-5000 on weeknights, 6000-8000 on weekends and 10000-11000 for special
nights (like weekends with the Adirondack Red Wings in town).

This seems to remain constant although the River Rats have only been
in existence for a few years and have done well in the AHL most years.
If they drop into the cellar, that could all change. On nights when
both Rats and the college teams are home, I don't see much attendance
drop at RPI. If anything, the Rats suffer slightly. There doesn't
seem to be much of a correlation. Rather they draw from different
pools. I,myself, am not a big professional hockey fan. I hardly ever
go to the Knick during RPI season. I might go after the RPI season
is over just to get my hockey fix but I'm not a regular.

So I doubt very much that the arrival of the Providence Bruins did much
to hurt PC. I think the note that PC is a basketball school hits the
nail on the head. PC plays in one of the most competitive roundball
leagues in the country and they're usually very competitive. Like it or
not, PC hockey competes against PC basketball and for the foreseeable
future, the hockey team will run a distant second.

On a side note, I'm looking forward to the end of the NC$$ for selfish
reasons. Brendon Morrison has been drafted by the NJ Devils and will
probably wind up with the Rats (NJ farm team) as soon as his hockey season
ends. It will be interesting to see how he fares in the professional ranks.

Both the Devils and the Rats are deep in centers so it will be interesting
to see if they trade Morrison or keep him and trade someone else. Either
way, I better hurry to see him. I doubt he'll be here long. He'll either
get traded or pass right on through on his way to New Jersey.