From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 20:39:38 -0500
Dan Olsen writes, in part:

>If the support that RPI fans and UNH fans show are typical of fans throughout
>the nation, it fairly simply explains why there is only one game a year on
>>ESPN.

While I expect every UNH fan to be as rabid as me, a 5PM start on a Friday
night makes it pretty tough for working folks to go to a game.  In
addition, the game was on local TV and students were on break, cutting into
the UNH crowd.

Although I can't speak for RPI, I can tell you that UNH's home attendance
this year was about 95% of capacity in a 6100 seat arena.  UNH has had
consistent support for its team throughout the 25+ years I have been
watching them.  Without it, the Whittemore Center would never have been
built.  The problem in college hockey is not places like UNH, the problem
is places like Providence where 800 showed up for a HE playoff game.  I'd
like to know, how long can Providence College justify spending the money
they do on the hockey program when no one goes to the games?

Greg Ambrose, UNH '72
GO UNH BLUE!!!