From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 20:02:15 -0500
>I'm a little interested in how the UNH faithful perceived their team's
>performance this past weekend.  There certainly were some entertaining
>debates toward the end of the season on Hockey-L regarding Dick Umile's
>coaching ability.  Myself, I've never been a big supporter of Umile, but
>the (IMO) pathetic performance of the Wildcats would've been the last
>straw if I was a UNH fan.  I have never seen a team look so uninspired in
>a big game as UNH was.  Oops, I take that back.  I have never seen a team
>so uninspired in a big game as UNH was _since_ I saw UNH look equally
>uninspired in the East Regionals two years ago.  Coincidence?  Perhaps.  A
>coach who can't get his players up for a big game?  More likely.  At the
>Centrum Centre Friday, I did wonder if was just my (often cynical) way of
>thinking until I overheard two groups of older UNH alums, who were sitting
>near us, calling for Umile's head.
>
>With all the talent that was on that team, being co-HE champs doesn't
>impress me at all.  I would be very upset if I was a UNH supporter.....
>
>Comments?
>
>  - Steve

How come it is the people who aren't UNH fans who think we should be upset?
For God's sake, the team won 28 games this year, the most in UNH history.
I will agree that they were lifeless, especially in the second period.  But
so was CC.  IMHO, CC won the game because of their goalie, nothing else.
The winning goal was scored on, first, a deflection of a centering pass out
to the point, then a slap shot that went of a skate, leg or something (but
not a stick), into the net.  And then their goalie stones UNH in the last
five minutes.

I will admit that, if the team had played 60 minutes the way they played
the last ten, we would have won.  But, I have to agree with Bill and
Greenie that, at some point, it is up to the players to peform.
Considering that UNH's reputation all year was as an offensive machine, I
thought they played some excellent defense vs. BC, BU and CC (6 goals in 3
games).  Our transition game was awful however. The most painful aspect of
the loss was watching how CC dismantled Clarkson the next night.  I know we
would be going to Milwaukee if we had won on Friday.

The bottom line in all this is that the coach can only set the stage.  Me
thinks that Umile's skills may need some honing in this regard since as our
performance in "big" games (NCAA,s, HE playoffs) over the years has been
abysmal.  I know the coach is a competitor and his players play that way.
But being a coach is also part psychology, an area where Parker excels.  I
can only hope that we can get that part of the game as well.

Hopefully for next year (I hate those two words!),

Greg Ambrose, UNH '72
GO UNH BLUE!!!