From:
Richard Tuthill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Tuthill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 22:17:19 UT
        Well,  I won't dwell on the demise of Clarkson.   We Tech'ers are digesting
that one more privately on the Clarkson Roundtable forum.   I do want to make
a couple of comments about last night,  though.   In no particular order:

        First,  it seems obvious that the Colorado teams must love coming East for
the regionals despite the fact that every time they do they'll have to play
the first night.   I suspect that training and playing at higher altitude has
something to do with it.   At ten minutes of the OT period,  Denver had
developed such a dominance that we all simultaneously remarked that BU had had
it.   They couldn't even get the puck out of the zone.   Denver was swarming.
 BU had no legs left.   Parker called an immediate time-out to regroup and
rest his folks.   The remainder is history.   But we have to ask ourselves.
Why was it DENVER,  who had played the night before,  who still had legs???
RBC count?

        Did anyone see a replay of the Todd White double-poster in the first?   That
was a sure goal in my book.   To back me up on that,  the officials in the
second game seemed hyper-sensitive to the situation and called for a replay
review on a simple post shot.

        Aside from Shegos missing that goal by Tech (I think,  although he waved it
off) and Piorowtowski mis-applying the philosophy of OT game calling (that was
a horrible make-up call at the end after swallowing his whistle),  I thought
the officiating was excellent.   Anyone who pisses and moans about the
officiating last night simply doesn't know how difficult a situation the
officials are in at tournament time.   In fact,  I enjoyed watching them work.
  Here's to the thankless few!!!

        Food:   Excellent!   Knick/Pepsi Center take note.   Someone has been reading
Hockey-L.   The "No Reentry" policy was not really a hardship.   Real progress
on this front.

        Has anyone seen forwards as highly skilled and slippery with the puck along
the end boards as Denver??   Wow!!   Color me impressed.

        Best thing about last night:  that second game.   Tough for a Clarkson alum
to cheer for BU,  but I managed it.   Told myself that Chris Drury was a local
kid,  which he is,  sort of.   Great job.  Chris.

        -- Dick Tuthill