Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 10:12:51 -0700
According to DirectTV, those of us with DSS (dinner-plate) dishes were
unable to see the Denver-Vermont game last night because MSC BLACKED IT OUT
OUTSIDE THEIR REGION. In Colorado, no local stations were picking it up
(arrrrggh), as nobody was picking up the CC-UNH battle.

I know that these darn TV stations don't see college hockey as a big
money-maker, but please -- this is the tournament, and it's featuring TWO
Colorado teams! Sheeeeeesh!

Is it just me, or does this seem a bit selfish on MSC's part? MSC picks up
the NCAA feed between a Colorado team and a Vermont team being beamed out
of Boston -- and then doesn't let anyone outside of the MSC regular
broadcast region see the game.

I understand that MSC probably feels that if they're paying for the feed,
as are their local area cable subsricbers, then why should they provide it
to everyone else for free?

I guess MSC hasn't learned from the success of local "superstations" such
as TBS, WGN, WSBK... they were all once  tiny, regional channels. Heck, MSC
hasn't blacked out anything else this week. Last night (friday), I had just
finished watching the Doug Woog Show when suddenly my screen went black,
telling me that the program (the DU-UVM game) was unavailable. A call to
DirecTV informed me that not only was MSC blacking it out from everyone
else, but that they had received over 100 calls (no joke) complaining about
the same thing.

Grrrrrr.

Does the NCAA really charge that much to pick up the feed that MSC feels
nobody else in the country should see it? What, do they think that Fox
Sports Rocky Mountain will "steal" their feed?

I suuuuure hope that they don't do the same this afternoon.

For those of you living in Colorado, the Denver-BU game will be televised
locally on Channel 53. Thank GOD.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard about the CC-Clarkson game. Maybe MSC will
be real nice and generous and let others see the game.

greenie

S P O O N ! !

GO BU!    (hockey)
GO BU!    (basketball)
GO 'BOWS! (20-6 and no tourney bid? Bull!)
GO BU!    (did I mention hockey?)