From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 12:00:00 EST
As long as were on the subject, someone may want to put
together a list.  Here's a few more to add...

Alaska Fairbanks' Kevin Oakenfold signed a contract to play
in the WCHL with, I *believe*, the Alaska Gold Kings on March 8
...the day UAF's season ended in Ann Arbor.

On March 12, Terry Lorenz and Ben Nelsen, both seniors at
Notre Dame, were waived by the Charlotte Checkers of the
ECHL.  I don't know when they signed.  (An interesting way to
spend your spring break, no? :-)

During the frenzy of NHL deals at the trade deadline on Tuesday,
Anaheim shipped LSSU's Bates Battaglia to Hartford.  Battaglia
was a junior this season.  I've read countless reports of the trade,
and not one of them mention if it was actually Battaglia or the rights
to him...hence, I don't know if he's left LSSU or not.  Maybe
someone in the Soo can clear this up.

Btw...BGSU's Mike Johnson scored his first career NHL goal
last night.  I believe he has 1-2--3 in 3 games with the Leafs.
He's playing RW with Steve Sullivan (C) and Wendel Clark (LW).
And, I've seen him at least once on the PP unit with Clark and
Mats Sundin.  (My point?  Unlike some rookies who get a cup
of coffee earlier in the season, Johnson is getting some real
quality time right now with Toronto.  And, he's making the most
of it.)

If anyone has more specifics, please pass them along.

Fwiw...here's an update on the four seniors from Michigan's
1995-96 NCAA title team:
  *  RW John Arnold is maxin' and relaxin' in Ann Arbor.
  *  D Steven Halko went to camp with the Hartford Whalers and
is a regular on Springfield's (AHL) blueline.
  *  C Kevin Hilton reported to the Detroit Red Wings, was sent to
Adirondack (AHL), was finally granted his release given that he
didn't fit in Detroit's plans, popped up in the IHL with Quebec and,
I *think*, Phoenix, moved on to Mississippi in the ECHL and has
since found a semi-permanent home with Worcester in the AHL.
Whew!
  *  D Mark Sakala signed a mid-season contract with Knoxville
(ECHL) and has since been a regular on the blueline there.

John Haeussler ([log in to unmask])