From:
Michael Willen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Willen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:27:18 GMT
I had the opportunity to watch the game via the Empire Network.  I agree
that it seemed quite clear that the puck was not shot in by a stick.
However, it is NOT clear that the RPI player was the one to push it in.
One could not see Garver move his hand; only his body seemed to be moving.
It is just as plausible that one of the Cornell players lying on top of or
near Garver (there seemed to be at least two) could have been trying to
push the puck TO Elliot in order to freeze it and accidentally pushed it
past him.  We don't see ANYONE'S arm or hand doing the pushing so either
explanation is possible.  Murphy signalled a goal when he saw the puck in
the net and the light on.  He did his job to check with the  replay
officials.  Gallagher and Ammian did the right thing.  They didn't see who
pushed the puck in either.  Since they could not say conclusively that
Garver pushed it in, they had to allow the goal.  The only other question
could have been whether or not the whistle blew bofore the puck went in;
the television replay with sound showed that the puck went in first.  The
bottom line is that Cornell won.  Move on to the NCAAs and forget one lousy
goal.

MW