From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 19:41:03 -0700
> Date:         Thu, 20 Mar 1997 21:07:23 -0500
> From: "Jack C. Berenzweig" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Understanding the Process
>
> I have read Adam Wooden's article posted on USCHOL and found it extremely
> enlightening.  As a father of a Michigan player, I have hesitated
> participating in this discussion, for obvious reasons.  I personally agree
> with those of you that have expressed the view that it really doen't matter
> who you have to play in any particular round, since in order to win the
> national title, you will have to beat all of the teams that you face,
> regardless of which round you face that opponent in.
>
> Having said that I am amused by the following statements of Joe Marsh, in
> Adam's article:
> >That philosophy (avoiding intra conference matchups) was instituted after
> >coaches came to the conclusion that it was unfair to bye teams. For example,
> >why should No. 2 North Dakota, a team that just defeated Minnesota in St.
> Paul >to earn the bye, have to play a conference rival again to make the
> Final Four? >The same philosophy holds true no matter which teams are
> involved.
> Joe Marsh further stated:
> >The idea behind avoiding intra-conference matchups is a protection to the
> bye >team. Why should North Dakota, the argument goes, have to play Minnesota
> >again, a team it just beat out in the regular season, and defeated
> practically on the >road, in overtime, to take the conference tournament?
>
> Obviously Joe Marsh and the committee went to great lengths to avoid a
> Minnesota - North Dakota matchup in the regionals since those two teams met
> in the WCHA Championship game. They should be commended for that. However,
> perhaps I am missing something, but didn't Michigan and Michigan State meet
> in the CCHA  Championship game?  Why wasn't that potential match-up also
> avoided?

Let me add a couple of thoughts.  Adam doesn't mention it, but the
first round game between minnesota and michigan state matches teams
that are well apart in the ranings and it would be a big upset for MSU
to beat Minnesota.  I see the second round matchup between the
favorite in the first round and a bye team from the same conference as
less desirable than a second round matchup between the underdog in the
first round and a bye team from the same conference.

The only option to avoid all possibilities of 2nd round intra conference
matchups would have been to send one of the CCHA teams out east.  Then
there are 3 west teams out east and two east teams out west.  That
would have meant one of Vermont and New Hampshire would have to go
west and miami would have to go east.  That gives the east regional a
miami/denver or a miami/cc game in the first round.  I don't see that
as making sense.

> >From my perspective, as a parent, it makes no difference who Michigan has to
> play on Sunday in Grand Rapids.  If they are going to repeat as national
> champions, they have to win the next three games and it makes no difference
> whether they meet Minnesota or MSU in the regionals, or in the final four in
> Milwaukee (assuming that a different seeding had been used).
>
> My congratulations to Adam on a well written article.
>
> BTW Adam's article can be found at:
> http://uscollegehockey.com/tournament/032097.html
>
> Jack Berenzweig

         charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]
 (719) 262-3492      (fax) 262-3369          http://www.cs.uccs.edu/~cdash