From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 21:12:21 -0500
Certainly a lot of passionate feelings on both sides for Morrison and White.
Here are some of my views from far removed from either side:

White will be hurt because the "eastern vote" will be divided between him
and Chris Drury depending on who they've been exposed to more.  Any voters
who saw predominately Hockey East games will vote for Drury, that and the
fact that BU has lost only 2 games when Drury has registered at least a point.

This doesn't discount one thing that Todd White has done this year, but if
you have seen Chris Drury more than White, it's hard not to vote for Drury.
If you can put BU's success on the shoulders of one person this year, it is
likely Drury.

I can't speak for Clarkson's TV exposure, but Chris Drury has also been on
TV quite a bit with NESN, and WABU, and has put up good numbers for two
straight years.  Last year it was the Drury and Jay Pandolfo show in Beantown.

In many ways Todd White is the leading canidate in the east, but it isn't
the same thing as in the west.  Morrison doesn't have a serious challenger
in the western vote.  Sure he won't get unanimous support, but in comparison
to the situation Todd White has, Morrison has it pretty easy.

Morrison has everything going in his favor, namely name recognition.
Morrison has been a household name in the west (and in many places out east)
for at least three years now, maybe all four that he's been at Michigan.
The fact he is a senior, and put up large numbers each year (despite missing
chunks of time for injuries) is not only noteworthy, but a fact not lost on
the voters since he's been a Hobey Baker finalist.

Let's not forget about TV.  Michigan gets their share of TV time and it is
national.  I'm sure many of us at different places in the country have seen
Michigan play on TV this year.  In fact, in Maine, I've seen them play two
or three times on televison (and I have basic cable).  National exposure and
name recognition are hard to overcome.

To me, this debate isn't about who is the better player.  If Clarkson and
Michigan meet, maybe we will find out.  I would expect nothing less than
both Clarkson and Michigan fans to think their guy is the best, but I
believe that Chris Drury will receive enough support to ensure that Todd
White doesn't win the Hobey Baker, and that Morrison will easily carry the
western vote to win the award.

This isn't a statistical award, subjective people will cast votes based on
their own bias, or exposure.  All three are great players, but Morrison has
everything going for him while unfortunately White does not.
---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])