From:
"John T. Whelan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John T. Whelan
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 06:31:22 -0700
John H writes
>John Whelan writes...
>>John H writes, in part,

>>>Morrison as MVP.
>>>Hopefully this clears things up for any Hobey voters that were
>>>waiting to cast their vote based on what the "major" candidates
>>>(which I'm considering to be Drury, Morrison and White) did in
>>>their conference tournament.

>>        Gee, and I thought Todd White's hat trick in the ECAC
>>semifinals would do that. :-) Looks like another case of Eastern fans
>>getting a good look at White and Westerners at Morrison.  I haven't
>>seen the all-tourney team, but I assume White made it, despite being
>>shut down by the Cornell defense on Saturday.

>My point exactly!  Where was White in the final?!  Morrison
>had three points in the semifinal win as well, but he showed
>up for the championship game with 1-1--2, including the GWG,

        Okay, so I'm watching the CCHA final from last night's tape
delay, and I have to say that maybe Morrison should win the Hobey from
the ankles down.  The assist was very weak; he happened to be in front
of the net when the puck came out to Luhning, and if it hit him at
all, in was in the left skate.  His main contribution to the goal was
getting both defenders to cover him and leave Luhning open.
Morrison's goal was an impressive athletic achievement, but after
watching numerous replays, I believe the way it went in was: Morrison
skates in on Alban just ahead of the defender; the puck is a bit ahead
of Morrison's outstretched stick, and Alban poke-checks it back, and
it bounces off of Morrison's right skate; Morrison tries to put his
stick on it, but Alban's left pad gets in the way, and the puck
carries into the net of its own momentum.  I don't know what
Morrison's goal and two assists in the semifinal were like (and I also
didn't have time to watch the entire CCHA final carefully enough to
comment on Morrison's performance outside of the goals), but White had
three solid goals in his semi.

>against a very stingy MSU defense.  Cornell neutralized
>White...and, if there's any justice, any chance he had to
>win the Hobey as well.

>Morrison led his team to the championship and was named
>MVP.  White did neither.

>Bottom line...Morrison produced, White didn't.

        Morrison had two goals and three assists out of the ten goals
his team scored against the #21 and #12 teams in the country (by PWR);
White had three goals out of the six his team scored against the #17
and #9 teams.  Doesn't sound to me like Morrison's performance blew
White's away; it was just that he spread it out between the two games.
(Now, I'll grant that Chad Alban is a much better goalie than Erasmo
Saltarelli, against whom White had the hat trick, but Bob Petrie
doesn't sound so hot, saving only 19 of 26 shots.  OTOH, Jason
Elliott, who surrendered only one goal in the final, won the MVP in
the ECAC tourney, and the entire defensive contingent on the
all-tournament team came from Cornell.)

                                        John Whelan, Cornell '91
        <http://www.cc.utah.edu/~jtw16960/jshock.html>

Cornell Men's Ice Hockey: Back-to-back ECAC and Ivy League Champions